Syed Babar Ali Fellowship
The Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute is pleased to offer the Syed Babar Ali Fellowship to support recent PhDs, those in the final stages of their PhDs, and advanced professional degree holders in areas related to Pakistan. Priority will be given to candidates who demonstrate prior educational history that has taken place largely in Pakistan, and plan to return to Pakistan upon completion of the fellowship.
Fellows are expected to reside in the Cambridge vicinity during the academic semester of their award and to actively participate in the events and intellectual life of the Institute. The fellowship lasts for a duration of one academic semester (either the Fall or Spring). Applicants may indicate their preference through the application form. Participation includes grant review, hosting seminars, and engaging with Harvard faculty and affiliates.
Total stipend for one semester: $20,000
In addition to the stipend, the Mittal Institute is able to reimburse up to $5,000 in health insurance coverage during the appointment, provided they don’t already have coverage in the US. The fellow will also be reimbursed for their round-trip economy airfare, provided that they are coming from and returning to a city in South Asia.
All reimbursements and stipends are limited to the dates of the appointment.
The deadline to apply for this fellowship has passed.
We are currently awaiting further guidance and details before announcing our plans for our 2021-2022 fellowships. Please check back in late January/early February 2021 for more information on the next round of fellowships.
- Set up an XID Login to be able to access the Online Application. Please note that it may take a few hours for XID logins to become active.
- Visit and fill out the Online Application Form. When taken to the HarvardKey page, be sure to click the “XID” tab above the login fields to log in with your new XID information.
- Upload a five-page, double-spaced research plan to the Online Application Form.
- Upload an updated curriculum vitae, which lists your academic degrees (including disciplines and the dates the degrees were received), your publications and research presentations, and any previous grants and/or fellowships to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a writing sample (no more than ten pages, double-spaced) to the Online Application Form.
- Two letters of recommendation should be uploaded directly into CARAT by recommenders. If they are unable to, please have them send the letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline, with “Mittal Institute Fellowship Recommendation” and the applicant’s name in the subject line.
Please note: incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not write directly to Harvard faculty regarding the Mittal Institute’s Fellowship opportunities. If you have questions, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions page or email Selmon Rafey, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.
NOTICE: COVID-19 MAY AFFECT FELLOWSHIPS
As many of you are aware, Harvard University is currently operating in a modified manner resulting from restrictions related to the COVID-19 virus pandemic. Please note that any fellowship offers for the upcoming Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters and the start date of the fellowship will remain contingent on the University returning to an operational and financial status that enables us to proceed with this appointment.