Syed Babar Ali Fellowship
The Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute is pleased to offer the Syed Babar Ali Fellowship to support recent PhDs, those in the final stages of their PhDs, and advanced professional degree holders in areas related to Pakistan. Priority will be given to candidates who demonstrate prior educational history that has taken place largely in Pakistan, and plan to return to Pakistan upon completion of the fellowship.
Fellows are expected to reside in the Cambridge vicinity during the academic semester of their award and to actively participate in the events and intellectual life of the Institute. The fellowship lasts for a duration of one academic semester (Spring 2023 for the upcoming cycle). Participation includes grant review, hosting seminars, and engaging with Harvard faculty and affiliates.
Total stipend for one semester: $30,000
Round-trip economy travel expenses and visa fees from South Asia to Boston will also be reimbursed (for participants residing in South Asia only).
All reimbursements and stipends are limited to the dates of the appointment.
Applications are now closed. Please check back in December 2022 for dates on the next application cycle.
- Set up a HarvardKey to access Harvard’s application portal. It may take a few hours for your new HarvardKey to become active.
- Visit and fill out the Online Application Form.
- Upload a five-page, double-spaced research plan to the Online Application Form.
- Upload an updated curriculum vitae, which lists your academic degrees (including disciplines and the dates the degrees were received), your publications and research presentations, and any previous grants and/or fellowships to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a writing sample (no more than ten pages, double-spaced) to the Online Application Form.
- Two letters of recommendation should be uploaded directly into CARAT by recommenders. If they are unable to, please have them send the letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline, with “Mittal Institute Fellowship Recommendation” and the applicant’s name in the subject line.
Please note: Incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not write directly to Harvard faculty regarding the Mittal Institute’s Fellowship opportunities. If you have questions, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions page or email Danielle Wallner, Programs and Administrative Coordinator, at email@example.com
NOTICE: COVID-19 MAY AFFECT FELLOWSHIPS
Fellowship applications are being accepted for on-campus and in-person activities at Harvard University; however, this policy is subject to change due to ongoing safety concerns related to the pandemic.