Raghunathan Family Fellowship
The Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute, Harvard University is pleased to offer the Raghunathan Family Fellowship (formerly known as South Asian Studies Fellowship) to support recent PhDs in the humanities and social sciences related to South Asia. Research topics can cover any period of South Asian history or contemporary South Asia. Candidates must have received their PhD no later than February 2022, and must have received their PhD within the past five years. Scholars who have not had past opportunities to access Harvard’s resources and who have primarily been educated at institutions in South Asia will be prioritized.
Fellows are expected to reside in the Cambridge vicinity during the academic year of their award and to actively participate in the events and intellectual life of the Institute. Participation includes grant review, hosting seminars, and engaging with Harvard faculty and affiliates.
Total stipend for one academic year: $60,000
Round-trip economy travel expenses and visa fees from South Asia to Boston will also be reimbursed (for participants residing in South Asia only).
All reimbursements and stipends are limited to the dates of the appointment.
- Set up a HarvardKey to access Harvard’s application portal. It may take a few hours for your new HarvardKey to become active.
- Visit and fill out the Online Application Form.
- Upload a five-page, double-spaced research plan to the Online Application Form.
- Upload an updated curriculum vitae, which lists your academic degrees (including disciplines and the dates the degrees were received), your publications and research presentations, and any previous grants and/or fellowships to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a writing sample (no more than ten pages, double-spaced) to the Online Application Form.
- Two letters of recommendation should be uploaded directly into CARAT by recommenders. If they are unable to, please have them send the letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline, with “Mittal Institute Fellowship Recommendation” and the applicant’s name in the subject line.
Please note: incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not write directly to Harvard faculty regarding The Mittal Institute’s Fellowship opportunities. If you have questions, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions page or email Danielle Wallner, Programs and Administrive Coordinator, at email@example.com
NOTICE: COVID-19 MAY AFFECT FELLOWSHIPS
Fellowship applications are being accepted for on-campus and in-person activities at Harvard University; however, this policy is subject to change due to ongoing safety concerns related to the pandemic.
Raghunathan Family Fellows
Raile Rocky Ziipao
Arvind Raghunathan and Sribala Subramanian South Asia Visiting Fellow, 2017-2018
Graduate Student Associate, 2012-2013