Raghunathan Family Fellowship
The Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute, Harvard University is pleased to offer the Raghunathan Family Fellowship (formerly known as South Asian Studies Fellowship) to support recent PhDs in the humanities and social sciences related to South Asia. Research topics can cover any period of South Asian history or contemporary South Asia. Candidates must have received their PhD no later than January 2020, and must have received their PhD within the past five years. Scholars who have not had past opportunities to access Harvard’s resources and who have primarily been educated at institutions in South Asia will be prioritized.
Fellows are expected to reside in the Cambridge vicinity during the academic year of their award and to actively participate in the events and intellectual life of the Institute. Participation includes grant review, hosting seminars, and engaging with Harvard faculty and affiliates.
Total stipend for one academic year: $47,500
Health insurance up to $10,000 and round-trip economy travel expenses from South Asia to Boston will also be provided (for participants residing in South Asia only).
All reimbursements and stipends are limited to the dates of the appointment.
The deadline to apply for this fellowship has passed.
Our next round of fellowship applications will likely open in Fall 2021 while we await further guidance and details from the University. Please check back in late August/early September 2021 for more information on the next round of fellowships.
- Set up an XID Login to be able to access the Online Application. Please note that it may take a few hours for XID logins to become active.
- Visit and fill out the Online Application Form. When taken to the HarvardKey page, be sure to click the “XID” tab above the login fields to log in with your new XID information.
- Upload a five-page, double-spaced research plan to the Online Application Form.
- Upload an updated curriculum vitae, which lists your academic degrees (including disciplines and the dates the degrees were received), your publications and research presentations, and any previous grants and/or fellowships to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a writing sample (no more than ten pages, double-spaced) to the Online Application Form.
- Two letters of recommendation should be uploaded directly into CARAT by recommenders. If they are unable to, please have them send the letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline, with “Mittal Institute Fellowship Recommendation” and the applicant’s name in the subject line.
Please note: incomplete applications will not be considered. Do not write directly to Harvard faculty regarding The Mittal Institute’s Fellowship opportunities. If you have questions, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions page or email Selmon Rafey, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.
NOTICE: COVID-19 MAY AFFECT FELLOWSHIPS
As many of you are aware, Harvard University is currently operating in a modified manner resulting from restrictions related to the COVID-19 virus pandemic. Please note that any fellowship offers for the upcoming Spring and Fall 2021 semesters and the start date of the fellowship will remain contingent on the University returning to an operational and financial status that enables us to proceed with this appointment.
Raghunathan Family Fellows
Raile Rocky Ziipao
Arvind Raghunathan and Sribala Subramanian South Asia Visiting Fellow, 2017-2018
Graduate Student Associate, 2012-2013