St. Jude India ChildCare Centres
Development Project Assistant
St. Jude India ChildCare Centres is a not-for-profit organization incorporated in Mumbai. Physicians in Indian rural areas refer patients where treatment can be beneficial, to hospitals in large cities such as Mumbai. Children, suffering from cancer and other serious chronic diseases, travel along with their parents from all across India to receive this often life-saving treatment. While hospitals (like the Tata Memorial and others) are able to provide medical treatment to the most needy of children through the generosity of a plethora of charities, the children and parents often have no place to stay, and have to ‘sleep rough’ on the streets, leaving the children who are recovering from chemo or radiotherapy open to a wide range of infections. This negates the benefit that could come from successful treatment and recuperation in more hygienic surroundings, and causes them to abandon treatment and go back home. Since the parents are not working during this period, many struggle to provide food and shelter. One of the main causes of death for these children is noncompletion of treatment.
To help such families St. Jude India Childcare Centres provides the following:
- A cost-free, secure, hygienic place to stay
- Transport facility to and from the hospitals
- Clean water and nutritional supplements
- Educational and recreational activities
- Psychosocial support In short, we bridge the gap, and help these children recover in a ChildCare Centre, while also helping the families to care for and educate their children, as well as providing counseling for the families during this traumatic experience.
This opportunity is open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Conducting educational/recreational activities for children
- Interviewing returnee children and families, understanding “how life is once the child goes back home”
- Understanding educational plans adjustment issues faced in school
St. Jude India ChildCare Centres can take care of accommodation and local travel costs.
Share the CV with a cover letter with Bhavisha Sanadhya: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Tags: Community Development