Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA;
with frequent travel to India
We invite applications for a research fellow to work with Professor Conor Walsh at the Harvard Biodesign Lab at Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering and the School of Engineering and Applied Science at Harvard University, in collaboration with the Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute. The project aims to engage students in science disciplines and lower the barrier to participate in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) by developing a line of soft robotic kits. The kits show students possible applications of robotics, such as grasping objects, artificial muscles, locomotion and others. It engages cognitive learning by introducing hands-on skills for prototyping, electronics, and programming. To know more, please see https://softroboticstoolkit.com
The focus will be on refining the educational kits, getting feedback from stakeholders (children, educators, and government) in India and the US, as well as outlining a plan for how efforts could be scaled in order to deploy the kits at several sites. Experience in teaching STEM topics, performing STEM outreach, or developing educational content will be preferred.
The position is based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, and will require regular travel to India.
- Master’s degree with 1+ years of work experience; or a bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of work experience
- Passion for education and creativity to help design robotics educational kits
- Either Mechatronics/Mechanical/Electrical engineering or STEM education/EdTech background
- Excellent communication ability (oral and written) in English; Hindi fluency preferred
- Strong organizational skills, motivation and desire to work with a team
The appointment is for one year as a research fellow with the possibility of continuation for another
To apply, send a complete cover letter and résumé, along with the names and contact information of three references (expected to provide letters of recommendation), as a single PDF file, to Alex Beaudette at firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications and Multimedia Intern
Location: Cambridge, MA
The Mittal Institute’s paid internships with the Communications team give students the opportunity to receive training in multimedia, publicity, social media management, writing, and editing. The successful candidate will learn how to manage multimedia projects, help conduct and edit interviews, and assist with social media outreach.
The Communications team focuses on maximizing the presence of the Mittal Institute in print and online media outlets and promotes the Mittal Institute’s events, programs, research, and partnerships. Our interns have the chance to interact with experts, scholars, and faculty in a variety of interdisciplinary fields.
This is a paid internship that requires a part-time commitment of 8–12 hours per week, or more if desired.
- Assist with the planning, creation, and editing of multimedia content, including articles, interviews, videos, maps, timelines, quizzes, and podcasts.
- Brainstorm new modes of publicity and outreach to connect with Harvard students.
- Post to the Mittal Institute’s social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Various communications tasks, including newsletter planning, article writing and editing, and outreach.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student at Harvard University
- Adobe Creative Cloud experience preferred
- Audio and/or video editing experience preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience in social media management
About the Mittal Institute
The Mittal Institute engages in interdisciplinary research to advance and deepen the understanding of critical issues in South Asia and the region’s relationship with the world. It holds regular events on issues relating to South Asia; offers fellowships and grants to further the study of the South Asian region; produces research and programs on social, economic, scientific, and political issues in South Asia; and much more.
Please send a resume and writing sample to Alex Gilliard at email@example.com.