Student Organization Grants
The Mittal Institute offers grants to undergraduate and graduate student organizations for projects relating to individual countries or spanning multiple countries in South Asia. These grants are offered on an ongoing basis; however, organizations are encouraged to apply as early as possible as funds are limited. Student groups are invited to apply to the Mittal Institute for funding once per term for academic and social events.
Mittal Institute grants support student events with an academic focus with Harvard faculty involvement and social events, such as concerts, mixers, and holiday celebrations. Events that are fundraisers for specific organizations or causes are outside of the scope. Grant proposals for academic events will be prioritized over social events. Academic events must have Harvard faculty involvement. This may be direct participation by a Harvard faculty, or faculty advisement on the content of the event. The average grant support for academic events is $500, while the average grant support for non-academic events is $250.
The Mittal Institute may consider grant requests for amounts over $500 if the following criteria is met:
- The event or project applied for is a collaboration between two or more student groups.
- The subject matter represents multiple countries in the South Asia context.
- The subject matter represents multiple disciplines related to the South Asia context.
In addition, grant requests above $500 require an in person meeting with Mittal Institute staff at least 3 weeks prior to the scheduled date of the event. During this meeting, student organizers and Mittal Institute staff will discuss and clarify the extent of the Mittal Institute’s responsibilities, the necessity for a well-researched budget, and the operations of space reservations and outreach. Please email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Undergraduate and graduate student organizations affiliated with Harvard University.
Please send your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, including:
- Application for student organization grants
- The application requires organization and project details, as well as a proposed budget.
- Detailed project proposal
- Provide details for the project purpose, plan, date/time/location, and proposed/confirmed participants.
- Your proposal must also clearly state how the content relates to South Asia.
- Written confirmation of application approval by your organization’s faculty advisor
Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. However, applications must be received at least 2 weeks before the proposed event date.
Requesting Space in CGIS
Mittal Institute affiliated student groups should email the Mittal Institute to request space to hold events in CGIS. Spaces are primarily reserved for academic seminars and events and is not conducive to social events. Public events require faculty involvement and attendance. Requests for spaces should be submitted at least three weeks prior to the event. There are security and custodial charges for events over the weekend and not during regular building hours and events with high attendance. Furthermore, AV equipment that is beyond in-house equipment is available at an additional cost and require at least 2 weeks of advance notice. Please include the following details in your email:
- Event title
- Date and time of event
- Attendance count
- A/V requirements
- Faculty sponsor if event is public
- Room preferences