South Asian Studies Fellowship
The Harvard South Asia Institute is pleased to offer the South Asian Studies Fellowship to support recent PhDs in the humanities and social sciences related to South Asia. Research topics can cover any period of South Asian history or contemporary South Asia.
Candidates must be able to provide evidence of successful completion of their PhD by June of the year of appointment and may not be more than five years beyond the receipt of PhD. Scholars who have not had past opportunities to access Harvard’s resources and who have primarily been educated at institutions in South Asia will be prioritized.
Fellows are expected to reside in the Cambridge vicinity during the time of their award and to actively participate in the events and intellectual life of the Institute. Fellows are expected to contribute to the greater Harvard community by teaching, mentoring, or advising students.
Click here to read about the 2013-2014 fellow’s experience as SAI’s South Asian Studies Fellow
Total stipend for one year: $40,000
Health insurance up to $5,000 per term and round trip economy travel expenses from South Asia to Boston will also be provided (for participants residing in South Asia only).
Deadline: January 15, 2017 for Academic Year 2017-2018
(SAI aims to notify applicants by late April regarding decisions.)
- Visit and fill out the Online Application Form.
- Fill out and upload the SAI Fellowship Cover Sheet to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a five-page double spaced plan of research to the Online Application Form.
- Upload an updated curriculum vitae which lists your academic degrees, disciplines, dates the degrees were received, your publications, and research presentations, and previous grants and fellowships to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a writing sample (i.e. one dissertation chapter) to the Online Application Form.
- Two letters of reference should be emailed directly to the Diana Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note: Do not write directly to Harvard faculty regarding SAI’s Fellowship opportunities. If you have questions, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions guide or email Program Coordinator, Diana Nguyen, email@example.com.