This event will be held from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm ET in the Ellwood Democracy Lab (Rubenstein 414ab) of the Harvard Kennedy School. The program begins at 10:30am ET if you are joining virtually (RSVP here).
Please join us for a celebratory tribute to Ela Ramesh Bhatt, the founder of the Self-Employed Women’s Association (SEWA) of India, on September 21, 2023. Ela is recognized for her Gandhian values, visionary ideals, pioneering work, and quiet centered humanity. Bhatt is the recipient of a host of honors, including an Honorary Doctorate degree from Harvard University, a Radcliffe Medal, and the civilian honor of Padma Shri by the Government of India. Her legacy as a “gentle revolutionary” lives on in the lives of millions of working poor women and in struggles for social and economic justice around the world.
- Marty Chen, Harvard Graduate School of Design (Chair)
- Sachit Balsari, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Jacqueline Bhabha, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Mirai Chatterjee, SEWA
- David Ellwood, Harvard Kennedy School
- Isabel Guerrero, Harvard Kennedy School
- Renana Jhabvala, SEWA
- Michael Walton, Harvard Kennedy School
co-sponsored by the Center for International Development and the Women and Public Policy Program at the Harvard Kennedy School, and the Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute at Harvard University