Join via YouTube Live: https://bit.ly/rihslaunch
The Lancet Citizens’ Commission on Reimagining India’s Health System is an ambitious, cross-sectoral endeavor to lay out the roadmap to achieving universal health coveragefor the people of India. The Lancet is a leading international medical journal that has paved the way for medical reforms and global health discussions around the world.The Commission on Reimagining India’s Health System will be the first participatory report of its kind to be published by the journal.
A guiding principle for this Commission is that structural change towards UHC can only be attained through consultative and participatory engagement with the diverse sectors involved in healthcare and, most importantly, with India’s citizenry. The Commission has already brought together leaders from academia, the scientific community, civil society, and private healthcare to spearhead this effort. We now aim to go beyond the traditional boundaries of expertise to actively engage stakeholders whose voices have rarely been heard in previous reports: those who deliver healthcare and those who receive it. We envision our efforts be underpinned by a Citizens’ Commission, an unprecedented attempt to gather insights from across the country through grassroots surveys, public consultations, and online discussions.
The launch event on December 11th aims to formally announce the Lancet Citizens’ Commission to the public. It will consist of a panel discussion among three leading voices in healthcare, followed by a conversation among co-chairs, commissioners and the public on the Commission’s aim and the Indian health system more broadly.
- Tarun Khanna, Director, Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute, Harvard University
- Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Executive Chairperson, Biocon Ltd.
- Vikram Patel, Professor of Global Health, Harvard Medical School
- Gagandeep Kang, Professor, Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Pamela Das, Senior Executive Editor, The Lancet
- K. Vijay Raghavan, Principal Scientific Advisor, GoI
- Soumya Swaminathan, Chief Scientist, WHO
- V.K. Paul, Member, NITI Aayog