Timeframe: Fall Term with potential to renew for Spring Term
The Intern for the South Asia Institute, a paid position, will gain valuable insight and experience in the day-to-day operations of a vibrant and dynamic University-wide Institute focused on advancing education and research on South Asia at Harvard. The Communications and Outreach Intern will work with SAI’s Communications and Outreach Coordinator to help to maintain the SAI website and will help develop and distribute outreach and marketing materials, including social media, website posts, and the weekly newsletter. The Intern will have the opportunity to generate story ideas and write content for the SAI website and newsletter. The Intern will help with other outreach efforts including updating SAI’s database and researching media contacts. The Intern will assist with SAI events, including the process of publicizing events digitally and around campus. Working in collaboration with the SAI team, the Intern will also assist the Executive Director on special projects as needed.
Harvard undergraduate and graduate students interested in international education, cultural exchange, marketing and public relations, journalism, social media, and higher education administration are encouraged to apply.
1. Professional interest in developing strong University outreach programs to engage the Harvard community in the work of the South Asia Institute. Knowledge of/interest in South Asia desired.
2. Solid computer skills in Windows and network environment, working knowledge of Word, Excel, and web-based resources, required.
3. Familiarity with social media marketing and the capacity to master new technologies required, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
4. Excellent organizational skills required. Must be able to manage multiple assignments, be efficient, organized, detail oriented, and able to meet project deadlines.
5. Exceptional written and oral communication skills and the ability to comprehend and summarize detailed and complex research reports and press articles to create briefings essential.
6. Must be professional, enthusiastic, collaborative, focused, motivated to learn and flexible to change, reliable, self motivated, and able to work effectively with people from different backgrounds and have cultural sensitivity.
7. Additional skills desired, but not required: WordPress, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Filemaker Pro, photography.
Work study and Field Experience Program Eligible
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample* to Meghan Smith, email@example.com.
*The writing sample should preferably not be an academic paper, but rather a blog post or piece written for something other than a class. Please email Meghan with questions.