Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute, Harvard University (The Mittal Institute) offers two grants to support the work of Harvard University faculty on fields related to South Asia.
Types of Funding:
Short term, travel grants for work in fields related to South Asia
These grants average from $2,000-$5,000 and are intended to support travel to the South Asia region.
The Mittal Institute – Aman Foundation Grant for work in fields related to Pakistan
Faculty will receive up to $10,000 in funding for original research in Pakistan. This funding can cover some costs associated with research at Harvard, but must also support travel to Pakistan for in-region research.
Application Deadline for 2018-2019 wintersession year grants: 10/12/2018
Application Deadline for 2019 summer grants: 2/8/2019
Eligible faculty must:
- Hold full-time Harvard faculty appointments, preferably at the junior faculty levels
- Discuss how the work to be funded will lead to new scholarship, support early ventures, creatively enhance research or teaching missions at Harvard
- Demonstrate a seasoned understanding of the problem and show prior preparatory work in this area
- Submit a brief bio and prior work/publications in the area for which funding is sought or in closely related subject areas
- Not seek bridge funds for segmental activities that are part of large, ongoing, multi-year endeavors which are already funded
- Have an administrative unit within Harvard to process the grant
Proposals of no more than five pages, including a bibliography, research agenda or methodology, detailed budget, and cover page should be submitted to:
The Lakshmi Mittal South Asia Institute
Attn: Faculty Funding
1730 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Candidates for wintersession grants will be notified of decisions by 11/7/18. Candidates for summer grants will be notified of decisions by 11/7/18. Faculty grant recipients will be expected to provide a brief report upon completion of their project summarizing the work made possible by this grant.