Select Page

Nazmul Haque, a current Mason Fellow in ClassACT HR73’s Benazir Bhutto Leadership Program at the Harvard Kennedy School, has a long history of developing public-private partnerships in response to climate change in his home country of Bangladesh. His experience was a case study for a recent symposium, “Climate Change, Public-Private Partnerships, and Social Equity: Lessons from Bangladesh” – also co-sponsored by the Weatherhead Center and the Salata Institute – in which Harvard practitioners and professors gathered to examine and enlarge upon the examples offered by Nazmul’s career. We spoke with him about his commitment to sustainability, and what the symposium meant for him. 

Mittal Institute: Nazmul, welcome to Harvard! You began your MPA studies as part of your fellowship last July, and will graduate at the end of this semester. What drove you to apply for the Mason Fellowship in the first place?

Nazmul Haque: A few years ago, a friend who had worked with the Japanese government and had earned his MPA from the Kennedy School introduced me to the Mason Fellowship. Having completed my MBA and being deeply involved in advising the Government of Bangladesh on policy matters, I was actively seeking a master’s program in public policy. The MC/MPA program came highly recommended, especially for its diverse and experienced cohort, which appealed to my professional and academic aspirations. I don’t recall a separate application process for the Mason Fellowship, and from what I understand, candidates from certain developing and emerging countries admitted to the MC/MPA program are automatically considered for the Mason Fellowship.

Nazmul Haque, Mason Fellow.

Mittal Institute: You are currently the Chief Investment Officer of Infrastructure Development Company Limited (IDCOL), where you have 20 years of experience in sustainable financing. Can you share more about your particular career, and how did your experience growing up in Bangladesh influence your career aspirations?

Nazmul Haque: For the past two decades, I have dedicated my career to developing projects and programs that have positively transformed the lives of millions, particularly focusing on the underserved rural communities in Bangladesh. Leveraging innovative business models, blended finance, and creative policy-making, I spearheaded the creation of the world’s largest nationwide solar home system program, illuminating the lives of 18 million people with clean electricity. My efforts also include pioneering a domestic biogas and improved cookstove program that reduced indoor air pollution for over 4 million households, a solar mini-grid program that revitalized remote islands’ economies, and a solar water pump initiative that dramatically reduced diesel dependency in irrigation. These projects have not only made clean energy accessible to the poorest segments of society but also earned global recognition through many prestigious awards.

In addition, I played a crucial role in structuring and financing significant private-sector infrastructure and PPP projects, establishing industrial energy efficiency finance programs, and offering extensive advisory and capacity-building support across sectors. My work was instrumental in diversifying the funding sources for IDCOL, positioning it as the first accredited entity of the Green Climate Fund in Bangladesh. Moreover, my commitment to extending our impact led to the establishment of IDCOL’s first international office in Malawi in 2021.

My journey from a modest upbringing in Dhaka to a career devoted to sustainable development is deeply intertwined with my personal experiences. Growing up with firsthand awareness of the hardships faced by villagers living without basic amenities like electricity, cooking gas, or running water has profoundly influenced my career path. I still have vivid memories of rural women spending hours in smoke-filled kitchens to cook everyday meals. These early-life experiences have shaped my career aspirations, driving me towards a deep-seated commitment to enhancing the living standards of the people of Bangladesh.

My journey from a modest upbringing in Dhaka to a career devoted to sustainable development is deeply intertwined with my personal experiences … [my] early life experiences have shaped my career aspirations, driving me towards a deep-seated commitment to enhancing the living standards of the people of Bangladesh.

Mittal Institute: You have built cross-industry partnerships across a host of sectors, but with a particular emphasis on climate change and renewable energy. What partnerships or projects are you most proud of?

Nazmul Haque: Throughout my career, numerous moments have filled me with pride and joy. However, the crown jewel of my efforts, my most cherished achievement, has been the solar home system program. This initiative alone has illuminated the lives of over 18 million rural residents in Bangladesh. By forging an innovative partnership-based business model that combined blended finance with private investment, we succeeded in installing more than 4 million solar home systems. This achievement not only stands as the largest of its kind globally but also catalyzed profound socio-economic benefits: generating over 30,000 jobs, boosting the rural economy, saving millions in kerosene costs, and empowering women. These collective impacts have played a pivotal role in elevating Bangladesh from a least developed to a middle-income country, even outpacing the economic growth of neighboring nations like India and Pakistan.

Mittal Institute: What types of skills or considerations does it take to build relationships between various entities, for the good of particular projects?

Nazmul Haque: Again, looking back to our solar home system program, at the heart of its success was the cultivation of trust among all involved parties. Rural households placed their confidence in us, investing in an unfamiliar technology with their limited resources. Microfinance institutions (MFIs) committed significant capital and expanded their workforce, trusting in the viability of our business model. The government facilitated the channeling of over $700 million in low-cost funds from multilateral and bilateral agencies, buoyed by the promise of economic benefits. Meanwhile, these agencies placed their trust in the program’s potential for economic and environmental impact.

This trust network was pivotal, allowing us to engineer a scenario where risk and reward were optimally distributed, motivating every stakeholder to contribute their utmost. By highlighting the strategic engagement and partnership dynamics, this narrative underscores the delicate balance of confidence and commitment that was essential to realizing the program’s ambitious goals.

Mittal Institute: You have also done a lot of advisory work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, and Fiji. Why is it important to you to lend your skills to developing countries?

Nazmul Haque: Nearly 600 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa are without electricity, and achieving universal access by 2030 will require that 40 percent of new connections be off-grid. This situation is echoed globally, highlighting an urgent need for collaborative, knowledge-driven efforts to lift these communities out of energy poverty. Introducing clean energy solutions to economically disadvantaged segments is a formidable challenge, marked more by setbacks than successes. Success hinges on creating adaptable frameworks that resonate with local realities, rather than merely replicating models from different contexts.

Our approach to solar home systems has drawn interest from governments and development partners across Asia and Africa, recognized as one of the most successful models globally. We believe it’s our duty to extend this knowledge. After all, everyone deserves an improved quality of life. Isn’t that the goal we all strive for? 

Many villages in Bangladesh get their power from solar panels | Photo by Magalie L’Abbé.

Mittal Institute: Talk to us about the symposium on “Climate Change, Public-Private Partnerships, and Social Equity: Lessons from Bangladesh” on March 1. What was one big takeaway for you? 

Nazmul Haque: Sharing my climate journey at the climate symposium, surrounded by a knowledgeable and engaged audience, was an enriching experience. The event kicked off with a deep dive into the solar program during my conversation with Professor Leigh Hafrey from MIT, where we explored the complex socio-economic and political dynamics that drove us to launch the initiative. We unpacked the program’s business models, its critical success factors, contributions to the economy, environmental impacts, and the possibility of replicating its success elsewhere. I also highlighted our other climate-related efforts, including the clean cooking initiative.

The symposium featured two particularly thought-provoking panel discussions. The first delved into the local nuances of climate change response, while the second examined how institutional players are tackling climate issues. Topics ranged from energy security and climate-induced migration to the experiences of public-private partnerships and the ethical considerations of energy transitions, presenting a multifaceted view of the climate landscape.

The event was capped off with an insightful keynote on climate finance by Peter Tufano from HBS & Salata Institute, broadening the discourse to include financial strategies vital for climate action. 

Beyond the engaging discussions and the remarkable people I met, the symposium prompted me to consider aspects of climate action that had not previously been at the forefront of my thoughts. It was a venue that challenged me to see the complexities of climate change through a variety of new and diverse perspectives.

Nazmul Haque in conversation with Professor Leigh Hafrey from MIT.

Mittal Institute: What skills have you gained at Harvard, that you look forward to applying in your career? And what is next for you, post-graduation?

Nazmul Haque: Reflecting on my eight months at Harvard since arriving last July has been like charting a journey from being a small goldfish in a familiar tank to exploring the vastness of the ocean. Initially, it was somewhat intimidating, but as the initial apprehension faded, I began to deeply value the abundant resources and the incredible minds that Harvard has to offer. The classes on moral leadership, negotiation, and behavioral economics were particularly enlightening, and I found equal pleasure in learning from my peers, who came from over 60 countries. Their inspiring stories could fill days of conversation, and engaging with them has profoundly shifted many of my life perspectives. I’ve grown into a more attentive listener and have learned the importance of pausing to reflect during complex discussions, skills that I believe will make me a more adaptable leader in the future.

As for what comes next after Harvard, I’m still exploring my options. Returning to my previous job is one possibility, but I’m also drawn to opportunities in climate finance and clean energy outside my home country. Additionally, the idea of pursuing another degree at some point is on my mind. I’m confident that the right path will reveal itself in due course.

☆ The views represented herein are those of the interview subjects and do not necessarily reflect the views of LMSAI, its staff, or its steering committee.